i've been reading "Food Matters" by Mark Bittman. His book is quite interesting, but his thoughts are not new by any means. In my rewording, his book is about the rate at which the american public eats meat(including beef, pork, chicken and drinking milk) He states in his book that the average person eats about 90% junk food, foods high in fat, high in simple carbs and minimal plant food (beans).He also talks about how we have had to increase the number of cows, pigs and chickens to keep up with out need. He claims that we should eat 90% plant food(fruits, veggies, and plant protiens) and 10% meat protein.
I had been thinking about changing my diet and came upon this book at the library. His ideas made sense to me, seeing that I am no longer 18 and able to eat whatever I want.(without feeling crappy after)
He also says that instead of refined flours, simple sugars, and simple carbs we should be eating whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat bread. Several of my friends have had to radically change their diets because of health issues. I have decided to give this a chance. so far, I have felt better and have made healthier choices when going to restaurants. This is not a diet, but a lifestyle change.If it means that I feel better and am in better health,it is worth it. The key is to make healthy, sane choices about what I eat, but no to deprive myself of some of my favorites.
so far, its working. I'll keep you posted....
NO tract home, conformist, fenced in, coffee clutching, keeping up with the jones at my house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
blogs I like to paruse and places to go
on the edge thinkers
musings
- cat
- holland, michigan, United States
- wife, mom and yarn addict. welcome to my crazy, fiberous world

No comments:
Post a Comment